Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Another Horse!

A big thank you to Naya True and letting me ride her mare Bella. Naya is a trainer at the farm I'm riding at in CO and she is letting me get on Bella 3-4 times a week. This is in addition to the 2-3 times a week I'm riding Gambini.

Bella is a small horse (~15 hands) which has been a change from the 17 hand horses I've been riding of late. She is coming back after some time off. A lot of what I'll be doing with her will be basic conditioning and getting her to engaged more from the hind.

Bella and I had a little "argument" yesterday in the canter and proceeded to canter a couple of circles with her ears completely pinned back. I can't remember a horse doing this to me before. After a little while, we got things situated and started working better together.

My goal before I leave CO is to get my seat and aids fine tuned so that when I get to Seattle, I'm not "hacking" around. I feel pretty good where I'm at, but I want to be able to have this second nature before I leave. I think that riding 6x a week should help me. I don't think I can do any more with my schedule.

I talked with Wendy Meyers yesterday, and there are a some things in the works with a couple of horses in Seattle. Until things are finalized, I'm not mentioning them, because I know that I'll jinx myself.

Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

Michael Davis said...

"Canter", "seat", "aids", "hacking"....Jeez Matt, we need a glossary!