Monday, January 28, 2008

Getting Back on Reo

Back in December, Grand Prix rider Glenda Needles was kind of enough to let me ride her FEI horse Reo.

Most FEI horses are not only extremely athletic, but also intelligent. If they want to they like to play around with the rider. What I mean by that is, unless you know what you are doing, the horse will basically have its way with you and start doing anything it wants (i.e. breaking from the canter, throwing flying changes at anytime, etc).

Since my skills at that time were extremely rusty (and still are), Reo, took me for a ride. Here I was on a nice horse and basically having to ride on a 20m circle over and over at the canter as if I were a beginning rider. This was humbling to say the least, but this was also the first step in me deciding to make a comeback as I knew deep down I wanted to ride again after this ride.

Well, this past Friday Glenda let me on him again. It went much better!! Although it wasn't show quality or really nothing to write home about, I was able to get him through and balanced, especially at the trot. We had a couple of really good half-passes to the right!

All in all, I'm excited to be doing this again and look forward to really getting it in the near future!

No comments: