Sunday, February 24, 2008

Memberships

Every small step I'm taking right now is big to me as this is solidifying and making "real" the comeback. I renewed (if you want to call a 11 year lapse renewing) my memberships for USDF (United States Dressage Fedreation) and USEF (United States Equestrian Federation).

When you sign up for USEF you have to declare if you are an amateur or professional rider. To qualify being professional you must show that you take in money for riding or training. Amateurs on the other hand cannot take in any type of monetary compensation or something deemed as equal value (For example: riding someone's horse for free board) There isn't a standard for results to reach the pro level but if you're not somewhat competent you'll get your ass handed to you in the open classes.

At shows, classes are divided into Adult Amateur, Open or Young Rider divisions.
Since I'll be training/coaching when I move to Seattle, I choose the pro designation. Now it feels very real to me.

No comments: