Sunday, July 12, 2009

Show Week For Devonwood

Next weekend I have the 2nd biggest show of the season (Championships being the biggest) at the Devonwood Dressage Show. Devonwood is hands down the best facility in the region. The biggest reason why I'm taking my guys down to this show is the fabulous footing in all the arenas (show rings and warm up rings). Some of the other venues in the area should take note on the footing. Additionally, a top notch judging panel will be on hand.

The team that is going down is Neo (with owner Rebecca Chatfield), Claudius (with owner Cindy Bucceri), Sharon Hummel and Sabu, and Deborah Hauck and Nick. Today is only Sunday and I'm feeling very motivated for the show.

I'll be showing Neo at Prix St Georges and making our debut at Intermediate I. Neo's training lately has been solid. I'm very confident in our trot work and hope to pull 8's (maybe even a 9) on our all of the extended trots. In the canter work our changes are good and I just need to get a better sit in the pirouettes. If I can keep my mind in check during the rides we should be near or at the top in all of our classes.

Claudius will be going Prix St Georges and if I can keep him relaxed we should be able to wow the crowd. The last two days of training have shown me I can go into the ring with the utmost confidence. I ran through the PSG today and it was heads and shoulders above what we showed last month. While the half pirouettes where still "a little" large we had better sitting than previously. If I can keep the engagement in both the trot and canter half passes we'll be pushing 8's and 9's!

My goals for Neo and Claudius are pretty simple: go through each ride error free, have a clear and positive mindset during the rides and get qualifying scores at PSG. Anything else that we get (i.e. blue ribbons) will be icing on the cake.

Sharon and Sabu have been displaying great work in their lessons and I expect them to continue their great riding like they did at the Whidbey Island Show. Deborah and Nick have also been doing well and should produce qualifying scores at Training Level.

I'll post an updated blog about the Devonwood Show next Monday.





A couple of pics from the Henrik Johansen clinic last week. I got some really good work from the four horses I rode (Neo, Claudius, Nick and Sabu) and found this to be one of the best clinics he has given me.

No comments: