Monday, June 29, 2009

Whidbey Island June Dressage Show

Over Father's Day weekend I took the Sabu and Sharon, and Nick and Deborah up to Whidbey Island for the June Dressage Show.

I rode/showed on Friday and then Sharon and Deborah showed their respective horses on Saturday and Sunday.

I rode both Nick and Sabu at 3-3. Going into each ride I knew the flying changes would be a little tricky as Nick is late on the changes a lot, and Sabu prefers to do flying leaps rather than flying changes. In training with each horse we were more on the side of getting consistent, good changes rather than bad changes, but the changes were definitely not 100% confirmed.

On the warm up day, both horses rode beautifully. Both were a little excited about being on the show grounds and I rode them enough to be calm, yet keep them energetic for Friday. Sabu can become a little too excited/nervous but for the most part he keep his emotions in check and really showed off his movement. Nick, who at home can be a little lazy, used his energy to show off a little too.

On Friday morning, I showed Nick first. He gave me a great warm up, and was light and responsive to the aids. Overall, we had a solid test, received four 8's. Our only problems were in both flying changes (both changes were late) and in the turn on the haunches (I goofed in my aids). We scored a 64.8% and 2nd overall in the class. Without the mistakes we would have won. What I'm really proud with Nick is, I only ride him twice a week, and we beat riders who work with their respective horses every day of the week.

Sabu also rode well in the warm up, but was a little more tense than he was the day before. For the most part he kept his nerves in check during the test, but showed tension in some key moments. Specifically, in both medium and extended trots, where we broke gait; in the medium canter where we showed a beautiful medium canter until he became distracted and threw his head, and finally in the second flying change where he got so nervous we trotted through the change. For my first time showing Sabu, I was pleased.

Because of a prior commitment, Deborah was unable to show on Saturday, so I just had Sharon to coach (I schooled Nick later in the afternoon). Over the past couple of weeks, Sharon had put in some very solid rides in her lessons and she started to show off he new found riding. She had strong rides in 1-1 and T-4.

On Sunday, Sharon took her riding up another notch and posted her best ever ride in a show. She scored a 62.8% at T-4; 1pt off a qualifying score. What I am most impressed/happy with is she scored ~10% higher at T-4 from the show in May.

Deborah come through with 2 good rides at 1-1, 61%; and T-4, 62.4% (2pts off a qualifying score). This was Deborah's 2nd show and her first "travel/overnight show".

I am extremely pleased with both my students. It was a great drive back home because in the truck both riders had big smiles still on their respective faces.

Both Deborah and Sharon are in full gear preparing for the Devonwood Show in 3 weeks. I will be taking them, plus riding Neo (PSG and I1) and Claudius (4th Level and PSG).

Later this week on Thursday and Friday, I'll be riding with Henrik Johansen. I'll be riding all 4 show horses (Neo, Claudius, Nick and Sabu) with him. I'll have the clinic report up over the weekend.

In the meantime, have a wonderful holiday weekend!




No comments: