Saturday, June 20, 2009

Beaujolais Show

This past weekend (6/13-14) was the Beaujolais Show. This marked a big event for me as I was returning to the FEI show ring. This happened a lot quicker than I expected when I created a list of goals over a year ago. What was exciting was, I was able to show two horses (Neo and Claudius) at Prix St Georges.

When I began working with Claudius this past September I put out the goal of riding him at PSG at some point during the 2009 season. At that time, and through most of the winter, I was thinking I could have him ready in August or September. Things started to come together well after I began riding again after the rib injury. Honestly, there were times I thought I was crazy, but kept at it. With Claudius this was his first time at the FEI level.

With Neo, I knew I would be showing him PSG (and Intermediate I next month) when Rebecca purchased him in March.

I won't bore you with too long of a blog post so here's the short and skinny:

Saturday:
I rode Neo first and the warm up went well. I was a "tad" nervous in the warm up and throughout the test. I made some small mistakes in both the pirouttes (walk and canter). I also missed a change in the 3 tempi changes. When I made the final halt/salute I was content. I knew I had put in a solid ride and that while it wasn't perfect it was very respectable. I/we were a little shocked at the score we received: 61.8%. I/we felt it was more in the 63-64% range. We ended up 2nd overall.

For Claudius we had been dealing with a sore back issue. The week before I switched saddles on him (that's a whole different story), and thankfully it worked well. I went into show week with a horse a little less conditioned then I would have liked. We had a good warm up, but I knew I wouldn't be able to collect him as much as I would like. In the test Claudius threw his usual first test of the show spooks, but I was able to put in some descent parts. Compared to the first test at Devonwood last month this was a big improvement. With Claudius it is all about "baby steps". Leaving the arena with Claudius I felt we scored a 56-57%. Surprisingly, and I'll take the score any day of the week, we scored a 60.4% (5th overall).

I was able to accomplish a goal of getting a qualifying ride for Championships on the first day with both horses.

Sunday:
Going into Sunday, I knew I could win the class and really put in a showing with Neo if I put together a good warm up. And I did do that. I had Neo working very well, moving great, working for me, and I also had my mental focus exactly where I wanted. Then in the test, I blew it. I over rode/tried too hard in a lot of sections (most of the canter work). The moment we finished the test I was fuming at myself for riding like I did. I had the horse to do it, and all I needed to do was let him do it. BUMMER!!!!!! We scored a 58.8%. A week later, I'm still a little mad at myself, but will use this as motivation to knock 'em dead a Devonwood next month.

Because of scheduling, I immediately got on Claudius after Neo's ride. It took me about 10 minutes to regain my composure and once I did we put together a good warm up. This ride was much better than the day before as Claudius gave me more of an honest effort (minus blowing me off in the 3's). I was happy with this ride. The judging was a little more realistic with a 58.4%.

Overall I'm happy, but very hungry for the next couple of shows, especially Championships. I have no doubt I'll have Neo ready to be extremely competitive by Championships for the PSG and maybe I1. I know with more time Claudius will be a more solid small tour FEI horse and that we'll be right in the thick of things come September.

It was nice to have a lot of support including some old riding friends come out (Amanda Olson and Laura Journey), plus clients and friends from River Run and Simpatico.

Finally, A heartfelt thank you to Rebecca Chatfield and Cindy Bucceri for the opportunity to show their respective horses. Without you two I wouldn't be here. Also, thank you to Wendy Meyers, Karla Spirtus, and Henrik Johansen for their instruction, guidance, and motivation. And finally to my family for their support.










No comments: