Thursday, January 8, 2009

One Hell of A Winter

The title says it all. We have finally got out of the deep freeze that sabotaged the last two weeks of December. However with the warmer weather and heavy rains we now have a new monumental issue on our hands: floods!!

As of today (1/8) River Run is completely flooded. The Snoqualmie River reached 8 ft above flood level about 10am this morning. This meant there was 2 feet of water in both the barn and arena. The horses were moved last night to the critter pad (an elevated section of land with portable stalls). The horses are completely safe and sound!!!

I feel completely fortunate to have such wonder owners in Julie and John Bennett, and barn manager Ramon Their care has been absolutely tremendous. I have not been to the barn since Tuesday and not once have I had to worry about the safety of the horses.

I was unable to get to Storybook Farm today because all roads to it where washed out or under water. The farm itself, minus the lower pastures, is completely fine.

So......a reevaluation is now in order. Between the deep freeze/snow, my broken ribs, and now the flood, the horses are now a little bit behind in terms of their fitness. BUT it is only the beginning of January so I'm not stressing at all. I'm hoping to be back riding full time by the beginning of February and will now push back the goals a little bit. First show isn't until the beginning of May.

In regards to the ribs, they are better but I am no where close to feeling pain free. I got on Sabu for a couple of minutes on Tuesday and cantered him for a short time. There was no pain at all during the ride!! However, I've been pretty stiff since. I'm getting massage work done tomorrow and hopefully acupuncture in the next few days.

Let's already write January off and look forward to February and beyond!









No comments: